That’s the question, isn’t it?
Is Hiland right for me? And for my family?
Only you can answer that question. We’ve tried to supply you with enough information to help you make that very important decision. We hope you come to visit with us in worship and experience what we couldn’t put on this website – the welcoming fellowship of the Hiland family. Please contact us with any questions you may have or call us at 412-364-9000.
Find out more about what we believe.
WHY HILAND IS OUR CHURCH HOME
Some of our Hiland family wanted to share with you why Hiland is their church home:
“While a source of spiritual strength, Hiland is ‘family’.” -Ed K.
“What is special about our church is that if there is a need, the Hiland community responds immediately with prayers, food, cards, visits and genuine concern. It has been said that the prayers of the Hiland people go directly heavenward. I do believe that’s true.” -Ann M.
“For twenty years, Hiland church has been part of our family, through joyful and difficult times. We are so thankful for the close relationships and for the growth we have all experienced in our faith through our involvement at Hiland. It is a source of great comfort and joy for all of us.” -Kim, Curt, Grant and Todd F.
There is a great sense of community and feeling of love here at Hiland that we as a family felt right away. Hiland offers something for every member of our family – for our children there is Children In Worship, Sunday School, VBS, and Cherub Choir, and for me, a Mom’s Bible Study that is wonderful! We are so happy to be a part of the Hiland Family! -Jennifer and Peter B.
“I first visited Hiland in 1995. What first attracted me was the warm and friendly congregation. Soon after I began attending regularly, I saw that Hiland was a church looking outward, with a clear emphasis on social action, that is, being compassionate to the world, with a goal of glorifying God. Another thing I love is the spirit of inquiry and acceptance of differing viewpoints. The best part of being at Hiland is that I feel that people accept me as I am. My family situation is a little unusual, with my husband and children being a different faith. The Hiland family has welcomed me and my family. Since I became a member, my faith in Jesus has become richer and deeper.” -Carolyn G.
“When I first entered Hiland Presbyterian Church in 1962, I was impressed with the beauty and simplicity of the sanctuary and endeared by its history; the hilltop wooden platform covered by an open-air tent of the 1790’s; a log cabin; finally a brick sanctuary with painted leaded windows. The diverse congregation and the minister welcomed me with love. It was an inspiring church then and now.” – Mary Jane H.
“Hiland Church has so much to offer for those of you who are looking for a place to worship our Lord. Whatever age you might be, there is surely something of interest here for you. So come and see if this is not the right place for you.” -William W.
In the Fall of 2011, we asked our Church Family what they loved about Hiland as part of our stewardship campaign. Here is what they told us:
- Finding Christ in others; Caring community.
- Mission minds and giving hearts.
- Friends in Christ, acceptance, mainline Presbyterian, the many and varied opportunities to participate in music ministry, Bible study, the prayer chain.
- Our small group Bible study, my extended Hiland Family, the fellowship of my fellow elders, our women’s retreats!, the faithfulness of our choir, that our campus is home to a food bank.
- Pastor Larry’s sermons, Jim Grapes’ music (organ and choir), Maureen Profeta’s cheery voice on the phone, C3 – Carolyn Gibbs, children’s sermons, bell choir, chancel choir, youth group, special music in the summer, unity in layout of the service.
- Pastor Larry’s wonderful sermons (they’re the best!), the warmth of the members, the many gatherings in Fellowship Hall, the genuine caring of the members, the “little ones” and the Cherub Choir, looking at the “peaceful little church and grounds on the hill.”
- The sense of God’s presence, His grace in the hearts and concerns of the congregation, the evidence of the Spirit of God in worship, the feeling of “coming home” after all these years.
- Definitely feel the presence of the Lord, music, Hiland people and hugs, C3 Adult Sunday School, prayer chain support, traditional and new blended together, Hiland women.
- Youth group’s Dinner Theater, women’s retreat, warm friendly people, strong lay leadership, financial responsibility, the variety of musical talents and experiences presented.
- It is God’s Beacon on the hill.
- I love the opportunities this church gives to its youth to learn about being a Christian and going out into the community to share God’s love.
- Hiland’s people.
- Friendships with so many wonderful people, great music, meaningful sermons, educational Bible study with some great teachers, a place of worship you can share with our Lord and Savior.
- Hiland has always been a refuge in the storms of my life; the church family created a wonderful environment to raise my daughter, both caring and spiritual; in all phases of ministry, Hiland staff has always been professional, supportive, and has enriched my journey of learning as a Christian in a life of faith.
- Beautiful setting, nice people, being there gives one a good feeling.
- Its extravagant opportunities to be actively engaged in the life of the church. No matter what your gifts are, Hiland has a use for them and rejoices in them.
- Since we moved here 46 years ago and had no family in the area, Hiland became our family and has been ever since! Things we love: People, people, people. Choir, Adult Ed., Women’s Retreat, Small group Bible study.
- The beauty of the church, the great sermons and the friendly congregation that make you feel so at home.
- The beautiful voices we have at Hiland give me a warm and comforting feeling. The children’s sermons are so precious and a good Christian background for their life ahead. The caring feeling that surrounds you.
- The people; the power of prayer; the endless possibilities.